Feb 13, 2011

New Life for an Old Desk

I finished the desk I was working on and am really happy with how it came out!



I started with this hunk of junk buried in the garage
I pulled it out onto the patio took off the knobs and sanded it down.
Then laid out a tarp, put the desk up on bricks so I could paint all the way to the bottom without getting paint all over the ground and went at it with the navy blue paint.
It took a couple coats.

I painted the inside of the drawers yellow so it wouldn't be so dark when I pulled them out to see inside.  It took 3 coats and could have used more but I figured no one would really notice.

I wanted to paint the outside of the drawers another color other than navy blue and it took me a little while to decide.  It was between these colors.  I think I made the right choice.

I did only one coat all the way around but two on the faces.
I know it is looking a little lemon lime here but it came out ok all put together.  You don't see too much of the yellow.

The knobs are the best part!  They are from Anthropologie.  Hobby Lobby also has good knobs probably way cheaper.  These were on my kitchen cupboards awhile ago and had them laying around.  They were perfect for this!


I ended up using the light blue paint.  I painted and then wiped down the old handles to get the paint in the creases.  It came out really good and added more color.

I had to redrill the holes to get the knobs to fit, which was easy and then just screwed everything back together.
  aaannnndddd  Done!


I had to move things around in my room to get everything to fit and probably tried 10 different ways but I think I figured out the best configuration.  I still need to get things put up on the walls but it's almost done!

2 comments:

  1. looks good. glad to know you are still moving furniture around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I admire you're patience.

    ReplyDelete